Internships at MFT
MFT does not have a paid staff and is not accepting applications for any paid positions.
Internships are part-time and flexible (~10 hrs a week). Internships are unpaid but offer substantial networking, mentoring, and professional development benefits. A music background is not necessary, but applicants must be over-achievers, ambitious, driven, and able to work independently. Recent university graduates may volunteer full-time and receive amnesty to defer any college loans as per IRS law. We are looking for a minimum commitment of 3 months, which is open to extension.
MFT seeks exceptional people who can take a leadership role in developing MFT's ambitious plans. Interns will work with members of our board, including managing directors at top investment banks and founders of major social media companies.
Please email a resume and brief cover letter to with the subject "Internship." Positions remain open until filled. Please see below for all available internship positions.
Social Media Intern
- Develop and manage MFT blogging, tweeting, facebook cause and page updates, and other social media platforms.
- Manage MFT's social media development.
- Develop social media strategies for emerging MFT artists. Help artists manage their social media profiles through MFT to bolster their presence, sales, and bookings.
- Must have working knowledge of various social media platforms and stay abreast of all social media news.
Press Relations & Marketing Intern
- Advertise and market for our various events.
- Develop copy for MFT press releases, newsletters, and media advisories.
- Hone MFT's language and messaging.
- Develop relationships with print and online journalists to increase MFT coverage.
- Must have excellent English skills and the ability to develop copy that is strong, persuasive, and hip.
Graphic Design Intern
- Update and hone MFT's website, letter head, logo, advertisement, and other copy.
- Improve current imaging to strengthen MFT's brand.
- Must have a keen eye and hand. We are looking for artists to rethink and revitalize our brand by thinking outside the box and offering bold ideas.
Web Development Intern
- Update MFT's website with news and other content.
- Redesign portions of the site as needed.
- Work with Social Media Intern to keep MFT up to date with emerging social media technologies.
- Work with MFT staff and other interns to ensure all appropriate copy and news from other areas of the organization are reflected on the website.
- Suggest new technologies as appropriate for MFT's website.
- Must be fluent in basic web building languages. Must prefer simple and clean web design to over-complex Flash driven formats.
Jazz News & Networking Intern
- Compile information on arts news at national and city levels.
- Reach out and connect to artists in various cities.
- Help MFT build a constituency of artists from which it can draw from for future events.
- Must be a jazz aficionado who keeps current with jazz news.
- Responsible for making sure nothing important in the jazz world falls off MFT's radar.